The Dubuque Community School District will host “Internet Safety for Parents and Community,” presented by a representative from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), on Thursday, Jan. 7, at 6:30 p.m. in the Washington Middle School Auditorium. The event is free and the public is invited to attend.
Check out photos below from the October 3 dedication and open house celebrating the $30 million renovation of Hempstead High School.
The $30 million project, which broke ground in May 2013, includes the addition of a 700-seat auditorium, an auxiliary gym with two courts and seating for 450, additional classroom space for music and technology education, a new kiln room in art, new administrative offices and other mechanical and safety enhancements. The project is well ahead of its anticipated January 2016 completion.
Global adventurer, motivational speaker and philanthropist Leon Logothetis will speak at Prescott Elementary School at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 8, in the school’s gymnasium. The event is open to the public and admission is free.
The Dubuque Community School District will host its annual Elementary Fun Run on Saturday, Sept. 19, at 10:30 a.m. at Dalzell Field. Registration will begin at 10 a.m. and all ages are welcome to participate in the free event. An adult must accompany participating children to the event.
The event, hosted as part of the district’s wellness education program, is designed to provide a fun morning of recreation while promoting lifelong wellness in the community.
Due to weather, the following events in the Dubuque Community School District are postponed for Saturday, April 25:
- Hempstead High School girls soccer vs. Decorah is postponed and will be rescheduled on a date to be determined.
- Dubuque Senior High School girls soccer at the DeWitt tournament is cancelled and will not be made up.
- Hempstead High School and Senior High School men’s tennis vs. Iowa City High and Iowa City West is postponed and will be rescheduled on a date to be determined.
- The Jefferson Middle School Invite Girls Track and Field Meet is postponed and rescheduled for Monday, April 27, at 4:30 p.m. at Hempstead High School.
- The Roosevelt Middle School Invite Boys Track and Field Meet is postponed and rescheduled for Friday, May 1, at Hempstead High School, with the time to be determined.
- NOTE: The Dubuque Senior and Hempstead women’s tennis teams WILL travel to Iowa City West on Saturday, with competition being moved to indoor courts at Hawkeye Tennis and Rec.
Students often hear about the “Jaws of Life” vehicle-extraction tool being used as a response tool in severe accidents. Hempstead High School students had the chance to see the tool in action on Wednesday, April 1, at part of the school’s Spring Wind event. The event gave new perspective to students and encouraged safety driving and responsible decision making.
The Dubuque Community School District will host its next “School Speak” event at 8 a.m. on Saturday, March 14, at the district’s administrative offices at 2300 Chaney Road.
The forum, designed to provide additional opportunities for conversation between administrators and community members, will begin with a presentation about school funding, its importance to the district and the role supplemental state aid plays in budgeting.
Preparing for kindergarten is an exciting time for children and parents alike. To help ease the transition, schools in the Dubuque Community School District are holding a series of Kindergarten Welcome Events to allow students and families get acquainted with their school and its staff in preparation for the 2015-16 school year.
At the welcome event, attendees will meet the school’s kindergarten teachers, the school principal and other school staff. There will be an overview of the school as well as overview of the registration process.
Registration for free four-year-old preschool in the Dubuque Community School District will begin on Monday, Feb. 2. This includes Dubuque’s 11 public schools offering preschool through the Statewide Voluntary Free Preschool Program.
Parents and guardians may register students in person at the selected site, beginning when that site’s office opens on February 2. Proof-of-age, preferably a birth certificate, is required to register a student. A passport or signed immunization record will be accepted if necessary.
Due to inclement weather, the following events are postponed in the Dubuque Community School District for Thursday, January 8.
- The Hempstead High School Financial Aid Night scheduled for tonight has been postponed until Thursday, January 22, at 7 p.m.
- The wrestling meet between Dubuque Senior High School and Waterloo East has been postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date.