Our mission is to develop world-class learners and citizens of character in a safe and inclusive learning community.
Our focus is always on the students we serve.
Guided by our strategic plan, “Unfolding Potential,” we are committed to creating and maximizing synergy between five key areas: student achievement, student development, community engagement, effective resource management and employee excellence.
Our students are the reason we are here – and we are committed to serving each and every one.
In 2013-14, the district had a certified enrollment of 10,574.
- 4,744 in grades kindergarten through 5
- 2,343 in grades 6-8
- 3,278 in grades 9-12
Our people make the Dubuque Community School District outstanding.
In 2013-14, our staff consisted of 1,803 full- and part-time employees making us one of the area’s largest employers.
Our facilities are a combination of historic buildings and newly constructed facilities.
- 24 buildings encompassing almost 1.7 million square feet
- 240 square-mile footprint
- Recent and current projects include:
- A $10.6 million reconstruction of Dalzell Field, the district’s main outdoor competition venue, which also included the addition of a synthetic turf practice field at Hempstead High School
- Renovation of Sageville Elementary School
- Additions and renovations to Kennedy Elementary School and Washington Middle School
- A $30 million renovation of Hempstead High School adding a new auditorium, gym space, music classrooms, updated dining spaces and more
Our transportation and food service offices work to keep students safe and healthy.
- Over 1.1 million miles traveled last school year by the district’s 80 bus fleet
- Almost 1.5 million meals were prepared and served in the district last year
Our technology is keeping students and teachers tied-in to an increasingly connected world.
- District buildings connected by high-speed fiber
- 60 Mbs Internet Connection Speeds
- A multi-year technology plan infusing $3.5 million into technology for the next four years and $2.5 million in subsequent years
- All 59 labs updated in 2013-14 to support current operating systems