The Dubuque Community School District is proud to provide quality programs for all students, offering a comprehensive system of supports for students entitled to an Individualized Education Program (IEP).
This continuum ensures that all students are served in the “least restrictive environment” as determined by the student’s IEP team.
We adhere to the belief that special education is a service not a place.
To that end, from age 3 to adult, the district is committed to develop world-class learners and citizens of character in a safe and inclusive learning community for all students.
Specialized programs in the district include:
- specialized support for students on the Autism spectrum, including the STARS curriculum
- specialized support for students with social/emotional and behavioral disorders, supported by a highly trained Social/Emotional Intervention Team
- official MOVE site for students with mobility difficulties, including an certified international trainer on staff
- transition support for entitled students 14+ including a Lifetime Learning Center, partnership with Northeast Iowa Community College, full time school to work coordinators in each high school, job coaches, opportunities for skills training through the HEART program.
- designation by the Department of Education and Vocational Rehabilitation as a Model Employment Transition Site
- a district curriculum for all students that is articulated and aligned with the Iowa Common Core and Essential Elements of the Iowa Common Core for our students with the most severe learning needs
- specialized supports for students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing and those with Visual Impairment
- special day school with community partners at Hillcrest Family Services and Four Oaks
Director of Student Services
Special Education Coordinator