Policy and Applications
Our objective as a district is to be as accommodating as possible, however, because of class size limitations, applications must be juried on criteria such as medical or legal reasons, documented change of address, sibling or parent in the same building, etc.
When completing the applications below, you will be able to upload the following documentation electronically when you complete the application, should they apply to your individual circumstances:
- Physician’s Statement
- Police or Court Order
- Purchase or Rental Agreement
- Harassment/Bullying/Discrimination Forms
If you do not have electronic copies of these documents, you may also provide them in hard copy to:
Attn: Open Enrollment
2300 Chaney Road
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
Applications are not considered completed until all required documentation has been provided.
In-District Open Enrollment
Review the In-District Open Enrollment Policy prior to completing an application.
Please note the deadline for submission of applications.
NEXT YEAR: Open Enrollment for 2021-2022 School Year
- Applications Available: March 15, 2021
- Deadline: May 1, 2021
- IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THOSE CURRENTLY OPEN ENROLLED:
- If your student is fully approved for elementary open enrollment for the 2020-2021 school year, you DO NOT NEED REAPPLY for the 2021-2022 school year.
- If your student is conditionally approved, you DO NEED TO REAPPLY for the 2021-2022 using the application below.
- Form: COMPLETE THE 2021-2022 ELEMENTARY OPEN ENROLLMENT FORM ONLINE (one form for each student).
- Applications Available: January 15, 2021
- Deadline: March 1, 2021
- Form: COMPLETE THE 2021-2022 SECONDARY OPEN ENROLLMENT FORM ONLINE (one form for each student)
District to District (inter-district) Open Enrollment
Parents or guardians requesting open enrollment in or out of a school district must complete a State of Iowa application form that is available in the central office of all Iowa school districts. For additional information on this topic, you can consult the Iowa Department of Education’s website.
The completed form must be filed with the Superintendent’s Office at both the resident and receiving district by March 1 of the year preceding the school year for which open enrollment is desired. If the application is for a kindergarten student, file the application form with both districts on or before September 1 of the school year in which open enrollment is requested. In addition, certain “good cause” circumstances defined by state law are acceptable for a timeline waiver if the change occurred/began AFTER March 1.
Parents are responsible for transporting children that are open enrolled to another district. This applies to all students including those with an IEP. Students that open enroll in grades 9 through 12 shall not be eligible to participate in varsity contests and competitions during the first 90 school days of transfer.