The nursing staff of the Dubuque Community School District strives to provide compassionate and comprehensive health services for your child. Our professional, experienced staff is able to meet a variety of healthcare needs for your children while attending school. In addition, we promote prevention and wellness and provide access to care for students to stay healthy, safe, and ready to learn. We understand that a healthy lifestyle is key to your child’s overall well-being, academic success, and lifelong achievement.
7th- and 12th-Grade Vaccination Requirements
An administrative rule change by the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), Bureau of Immunization, REQUIRES MENINGOCOCCAL (A, C, W, Y) VACCINE FOR STUDENTS ENROLLING IN 7TH AND 12TH GRADES in addition to other vaccination requirements.
Learn more about the Asthma-Friendly School Initiative!
Dubuque Community School District Health Services is implementing a District Wide Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative starting in the 2012-2013 school year. This initiative is based on the Toolkit by The American Lung Association. This guide provides the framework and tools to assist the schools in collaborating with the community to strengthen them to become more asthma-friendly to support the education of our children by keeping them healthy and ready to learn. For more, see the Asthma-Friendly School Toolkit.
- Promotion of healthy life styles.
- Identify health concerns by observation and assessment of needs.
- Health care counseling or guidance to students, their family, and staff.
- Guidance in chronic disease management and assist with access to care in collaboration with
community agencies and medical providers.
- Medication management.
- Immunization verification according to state guideline requirements.
- Screenings: vision, dental, hearing, height and weights.