First up in today’s update, an important informational note: We continue to receive many messages and inquiries regarding online learning moving forward. This is an issue that school districts across the state are currently wrestling with and seeking guidance on. This afternoon, we learned from the Iowa Department of Education that a state task force is being formed on this issue that will meet later this week. We will look forward to receiving additional guidance and clarity from this task force as we continue to move forward with providing resources to our families and students.
Today, as we provide this update, we also take a moment to simply pause, breathe and focus.
As we have long said, it is truly the people who make the Dubuque Community School District amazing – and that has never been truer than in these times of uncertainty.
Our world today is different than it was a week ago, and we want to assure you that we are working tirelessly to provide resources, support and comfort as we face this challenge together.
As you read this message,
- administrators and teachers from across the district are preparing educational resources for students and are working to roll those out to families in the next few days
- district staff and many community partners are preparing meals to serve students throughout our community, all at no-cost
- custodians are busy deep-cleaning our school buildings
- central office staff are ensuring that critical functions such as payroll, accounts payable, technology infrastructure and more continue to operate
- counselors are preparing resources to support the emotional well-being of our families
- teachers have or will be reaching out families to check-in
- parents are adjusting schedules and helping students continue learning at home
- our community is rallying around those who are most vulnerable
Many questions remain – some we can answer now, and others that we are working to answer. Some answers may change over time. We are with you in navigating this new, unknown territory.
While we won’t always have an immediate answer to every question we receive, we can tell you with unwavering certainty that our entire district is wholly focused on the education, safety, health and wellbeing of the students and families we serve.
We take great pride and responsibility in being a critical community link and we are grateful for your support and partnership as we move forward.
The Dubuque Community School District is not, and will never be, simply a collection of buildings. Our schools are the collective of our students, families, staff and community members who provide critical services for our students.
We will work through COVID-19 together, we will continue to provide you with updates from the district for as long as necessary, and we will look with hope to the day we can learn and serve together in person.
Look for our regular updates and additional information to resume tomorrow.