A short time ago, the City of Dubuque issued a precautionary boil water advisory for a large portion of the city. (Read the City’s full release, including a map, about the boil water advisory.)
This boil water advisory includes the following district buildings:
Alta Vista Campus
Bryant Elementary School
Dubuque Senior High School
Hempstead High School
Hoover Elementary School
Irving Elementary School
Lincoln Elementary School
Table Mound Elementary School
Washington Middle School
The district will operate on its normal Friday one-hour late start schedule tomorrow, and is taking a number of steps to prepare for tomorrow’s school day:
- Breakfast and lunch tomorrow will include menu items that do not require tap water to be used in preparation.
- Bottled water is being procured and will be delivered to affected buildings. While we anticipate having at least one bottle of water for each student, WE ASK THAT STUDENTS AND STAFF CONSIDER BRINGING BOTTLED WATER FROM HOME FOR USE DURING THE DAY.
The City of Dubuque recommends the following for any locations impacted by the advisory:
- Do not drink tap water without boiling it first. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
- Until the advisory is lifted, boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, and food preparation.
- Bring water to a boil, let boil for one minute, and let it cool before drinking/using.
- Unboiled tap water may be used for bathing and other non-drinking purposes.
Residents seeking additional information may call the city at 563/690-6210.
Thank you for your flexibility as we prepare for the school day tomorrow!