In alignment with the district’s mission and vision, school counselors in the Dubuque Community School District strive to assist students academically, socially and emotionally. This is accomplished through building-wide initiatives that improve the safety, growth and success of our youth during the developmental stages of their education.
School counselors focus on the overall mental health and well-being of students (as well as their engagement and hopefulness) through prevention education curriculum, individual and group counseling, support and consultation.
For more information on the role of school counselors, click on the link below to read an article from American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
Services provided by school counselors include, but are not limited to:
- Individual and small-group counseling
- Developmental and preventative school guidance curriculum
- Post-secondary planning
- Mentoring coordination
- Homeless liaison
- Community resource collaboration and referral
- Collaboration with staff
- Collaboration with school-based youth counselors
- Coordination and communication with families
- Facilitates peer mediations
- Building and supporting a positive school climate